Tuesday, November 18, 2014

30 Days: Thoughts of a Future Farmer Day 18

Farm Bureau in My Life



I'm involved in a lot of things, but one that tops the list is Farm Bureau.  My involvement is actually a two-part deal.  Not only am I treasurer for Collegiate Farm Bureau at Purdue, but I'm also the Dubois County Young Farmer Representative on our county board.

"Good boy, what's that matter?"

Glad you asked!  When I came to Purdue last year, I got involved with Collegiate FB, and originally didn't know a lot.  I knew we had an office in Jasper, they sold insurance, and knew a lot about policy.

They sold me on policy.

Throughout first semester we had a few events, speakers, and the like.  I really changed my whole perspective when we went to visit with a family in Rensselear who is very active with Farm Bureau and agriculture as a whole.  Kendall and Tammy Culp taught me a lot.  That evening a group of young Farm Bureau members got to learn more about an organization that's been making an impact for decades.  I gained an entire new appreciation for Farm Bureau that day.

In January, I went to Indiana Young Farmers Conference.  Young Farmers is a branch of Farm Bureau for the 18-35 crowd.  It's an opportunity to get together with people who share similar ailments, struggles, and excitement when it comes to agriculture.  It was a great experience to say the least.

I also got to go to National Young Farmers and Ranchers Conference in Virginia Beach, VA in February with a group from Purdue.  Again, it is an experience that was amazing, and I'll have to blog more about after we go to Nashville this year.

I think my favorite thing about Young Farmers is that you realize there are a ton of people out there fighting the same battle as you.

Neat banner I got made before the county fair this year.

When I sent in my reimbursement request to my county for my hotel room, and expressed my interest in working with our county to develop a program, is when things really changed.  In March, I was selected to be the next Young Farmer Representative for our county.  What do I have to pick up with?  Come to find out, there hadn't been a program for a while.  I've been working with a great group of young agriculturalists to get this program running.  We are working toward a career panel for local 4-H and FFA groups to be held in March or April.  I can't wait for this event!  Now I just have to work it out with Purdue and my exam schedule.....

With Farm Bureau, I have learned a lot.  Here are my top 5.

1.  Success starts with grass roots.
2.  The key to doing anything productive is showing up.
3.  Young people can be a lot more influential than you may think.
4.  Continuity of any organization begins with getting young people interested and involved.
5.  I drive a lot and go to a LOT of meetings.  But that's okay! (You're welcome OPEC.)

That sums it up for this morning!  Keep an eye out for a post tomorrow from me on https://www.facebook.com/AskTheFarmers - I haven't written it yet, but I'm sure it'll be decent!

The picture would be better if my truck window weren't so dirty right now...
Please reach out to me on other forms of social
media!
Facebook Page, Twitter, Pinterest, or Instagram 

Linking up with Holly and the other 30 Days Bloggers Here!

No comments:

Post a Comment